Police not told of nursing home deaths
Alexandra Smith and Les Kennedy, smh
July 12, 2008
THE deaths of 10 elderly people in three weeks at a Blue Mountains nursing home last month were not reported to police or the State Coroner's special investigations unit, NSW police said last night.
It was incumbent on any medical practitioner treating patients at a nursing home to report a death, police said, if there were any other deaths that might be related.
"We have checked with the crime manager for the Blue Mountains Command and he has checked their records for the past month and there are no reported deaths to police from any nursing home … at Springwood," a police spokesman said last night.
Police are expected to begin an investigation today into a report by the Health Department, which broke the news of 10 deaths at Endeavour Nursing Home, Springwood.
The department played down suggestions the deaths were caused by gastroenteritis but said it would investigate again.
In a statement the department said 83 residents of the home were struck down with diarrhoea and other painful symptoms late last month.
Food poisoning was investigated as a cause but the NSW Food Authority ruled that out after inspecting the home.
The acting deputy chief health officer for NSW Health, Jeremy McAnulty, said the results from tests on a number of ill residents had found Clostridium perfringens, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning.
"Infection with this germ is characterised by sudden onset of diarrhoea of brief duration, often with stomach cramps, 10 to 12 hours after ingestion of contaminated food," he said in a statement. "During the outbreak period 10 residents died from a variety of apparently unrelated conditions. Some of these had had mild diarrhoea."
Dr McAnulty said many of the death certificates gave the cause of death as pneumonia and other unrelated conditions. The risk of further infection was thought to be low. "However, all precautions are being taken, including an epidemiological investigation and reinspection of all food-handling procedures, to protect other residents."
Extra control measures during food preparation and handling would be implemented, he said.
The NSW Food Authority inspected the home and found no obvious breach of protocols, the statement said. NSW Health said a panel had been convened to help the investigation. The nursing home had appointed an officer to monitor staff and food handling.
The NSW Combined Pensioners and Superannuants Association last night called for an investigation by the State Coroner.
The association's policy co-ordinator, Paul Versteege, said NSW Health and the federal Minister for Ageing needed to explain how it could be presumed that the 10 deaths had nothing to do with bacterial infection after bacteria was detected in residents after two gastroenteritis outbreaks.
Last year 22 residents and 11 staff were struck down with gastroenteritis at a Canberra nursing home.
Print this story
Add to Facebook
Add to del.icio.us
Digg this story